Monday, October 24, 2011

Cricut really does cut fabric!

i found this tutorial a few weeks back thanks to pinterest and was so excited because it claimed that the cricut machines cut fabric! now i have heard this "myth" before and i wasn't so sure since i had never actually heard it from provo craft (the makers of the cricut) so i was a little hesitant to try it. but after seeing this tutorial i decided i had to try. and then the perfect opportunity arose! every friday at work we have fun Friday's and a this past Friday happened to be favorite letter day. now how do you suppose you show off your favorite letter you ask?? well I'll tell you.. you cut it out of your cricut machine duh!!

So i decided that my favorite letter was B.. why? because my name starts with B? or because i found this really cute bumble bee fabric and bee starts with B? or maybe because all day my students said, "B.. for Ms. BRI!!" any way in order to make your cricut cut fabric you have to get something to make it stick securely to the cutting mat. i used heat and bond..


i also heard that you can use the quilt sticky spray, but this heat and bond was way cheaper than the quilting spray so i gave this a shot. (also i heard wonder under or pellon is not as good as the heat and bond.. but i wouldn't know because i didn't try it) i just followed the directions on the back of the package to apply the heat and bond to my fabric then cut it down to size to fit on my mat...


once it was cut down to size i was ready to load the mat into my cricut machine..


now this was the scary part, i know i had seen the blog and she did it just fine.. but this was my cricut not hers.. i was terrified it wouldn't work, or worse id break my machine but what do you know??



It actually worked!! i was just as surprised as I'm sure you are! and i only had to cut the fabric once! i did however slow down my cut and make my pressure as hard as it could go.



then i just peeled it off the mat and since there was already heat and bond on the fabric i used that to apply the image onto my shirt, since the heat and bond had lost some of its stick from the mat i ironed it twice and then i secured the edges with a basic stitch all the way around.



and of course i had to model the finished product! i think its safe to say i had the cutest favorite letter shirt at school :)

this seriously opened up the doors to so many possibilities! i cant wait to play with it more.. stay tuned!!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to know Cricut can cut fabric! I have a Christmas project in the works that this will make so much better!

    ReplyDelete