Monday, August 12, 2013

Dole Pineapple Plantation

I've driven past the Dole pineapple plantation numerous times and each time I would tell myself or Joey that I wanted to go there- how many chances do you get to see a working pineapple plantation? With my Mom visiting and her sweet friends in town we put it on our list of things to do. Boy was I excited to mark it off my long list of things I want to do before leaving Hawaii for good. Did you know that this pineapple plant has one of the worlds largest corn mazes? In the shape of a pineapple, no less! It's true, it even made it into the Guinness Book of World Records a few years back, pretty cool!

We didn't actually go through the maze but it was still fun to see :)
We opted to take a ride on the Pineapple Express, which is a cute little vintage train that takes you on a tour through the still working pineapple plantation. 


It was fun to see the plantation this way and learn some interesting facts about pineapples. I had no idea it took pineapples so long to grow, like 15 months! Or that Dole bought the whole island of Lana'i and turned it into a pineapple plantation when the one on Oahu got to small for their booming business. It is no longer owned by Dole but still, buying your own island just for pineapples- wow!

of course they have bushes in the shape of pineapples.

cute pineapple ladies :)


did you know pineapples grew like this?
So much fun, and of course we had to end our adventure with a delicious pineapple whip. Love me some pineapple, especially in the form of ice cream!! 

Love, The Williams

1 comment:

  1. It was fun to go there, even when I wasn't feeling so great. I LOVED the pineapple whip also!! Thanks for all the time you took to haul us around and for letting us stay with you. Hope you are getting some rest now. Can't wait to see your handsome little boy soon!

    ReplyDelete